POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Missing light in interior of box : Missing light in interior of box Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Missing light in interior of box
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 21 Jan 1999 10:23:03
Message: <36a74657.0@news.povray.org>
I have posted an image to the images newsgroup with the subject line: "A
nice ocean view". Someone pointed out to me something I hadn't noticed until
now: The sunlight is casting long shadows of the railings onto the patio
just outside the hallway. The sunlight should be entering the hallway but
does not. The hallway is actually a box in which I have used CSG to remove
sections I didn't want. Then, I put a wall outside of that with an archway
cut into it. The sunlight does not pass through that archway. Here is how I
did my archway:

// create a box that extends between the 2 specified points
difference {
  box
  {
    <-10,  0, 26.0>  // one corner position <X1 Y1 Z1>
    < 10, 3, 26.5>  // other corner position <X2 Y2 Z2>
    texture {Wallpaper}
  }
  box {
    <-3, 0, 25>, <3, 7, 27>
    texture {Wallpaper}
  }
}

difference {
  box
  {
    <-10,  3, 26.0>  // one corner position <X1 Y1 Z1>
    < 10, 20, 26.5>  // other corner position <X2 Y2 Z2>
    texture {Wall_Texture}
  }
  cylinder {
    <0, 7, 25>, <0, 7 27>, 3
    texture {Wall_Texture}
  }
  box {
    <-3, 0, 25>, <3, 7, 27>
    texture {Wall_Texture}
  }
}

Can anyone tell me why "sunlight" will not pass through this archway?

Jon Berndt